8 April 2019

Ginger

These recipes are in my mother's handwriting and are housed in a battered, blue plastic folder. They are transcribed here as part of the A-Z Challenge 2019. Each day in April a new letter of the alphabet and accompanying recipes are posted.

Ginger

Mum loved anything flavoured with ginger so it is not surprising to find Ginger biscuits and a Ginger flan in her collection. She also made a light fluffy ginger sponge. We'll come to the sponge recipe at the letter S.

 Crisp Ginger Biscuits

6 ozs butter
4 ozs sugar
1 cup S.R. Flour
1 egg
2½ cups cornflakes
Chopped preserved ginger
1 sml teaspoon ground ginger

Cream butter and sugar add egg then flour and ginger. Lastly cornflakes.
Mix cornflakes in gently not breaking.
Teaspoon onto oven slide and bake till golden brown.





Ginger Flan

For Flan

Crush ½lb Granita Bisc[uits] with
1 teaspoon of ground ginger and combine with 2 ozs [melted] margarine
Press firmly into tart plate and cool

Filling

1 cup water and 3 tablespoons of Golden Syrup. When boiling stir in 2 tablespoons blended custard powder and ½ pkt chopped crystallised ginger.



5 comments:

  1. I’m enjoying these Carmel. Mum won a prize for her ginger slice...I make it very occasionally...or I eat too much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ginger biscuits look yummy may try them next month when no busy with challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just stopped by as part of the A-to-Z Challenge and I wanted to commend you on your choice of themes and I'm going to try out some recipes, I'll bet. I love genealogy and family history -- this was a great way to carry on delicious traditions.

    Thanks, and best wishes!
    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - those cookies look amazing!
    I'll definitely give them a go... (Today is H for Hijacking, right?)

    Happy A-Z'ing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a big fan of ginger I like how these biscuits don't state how much preserved ginger. I can add as much as I like. WIN,WIN!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I welcome your comments. All comments are moderated before publication.

A mean slice, a kind heart

He was formidable behind a tennis ball, That mean slice tricked many a player, even though he was of short stature at about 5 ft tall. He ar...