12 April 2019

K is for Ki Si Ming

These recipes are in my mother's handwriting and are housed in a battered, blue plastic folder. They are transcribed here as part of the A-Z Challenge 2019. Each day in April a new letter of the alphabet and accompanying recipes are posted.

The dish with two names

Mutton was a staple meat on our menu as the older sheep were killed for consumption. Mum never wasted a scrap of meat, it was all scraped from the bones and put through the hand turned mincer. This recipe used that mince with added vegetables and rice.

Ki Si Ming or Hi Li Min
  • 500 gr mince
  • 2 slices chopped bacon
Brown the meats in a little oil then add
  • ¼ sml cabbage shredded
  • 1 cup sliced beans
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • 1 sml sliced onion
  • 2 tablespoons rice
  • 1 pkt Dutch curry and rice soup
  • Seasoning 
  • 4 cups water [written up the side of the recipe]
Simmer all for 25 mins

This dish can be found on the internet under various names with many variations of flavours and ingredients, too many to list here.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memories. I went and checked my old recipe book and I have Ki-Si-Ming from my Aunty Betty. Very similar recipe, naturally, with chicken noodle soup and a cup or beans or peas.
    Fran
    TravelGenee visiting from the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories indeed, but glad they are only that and we have wider food choices nowadays!

      Delete
    2. Totally agree. Choice of fruit and veg's and types of cooking makes food more interesting. However sometimes I would love to have a slice Mum's quick potato fruit bun but I did not get the recipe.

      Delete
  2. I’ve never heard of this dish, at least by this name. I used to mince my own meat back in the days in PNG. Now I’m just lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I welcome your comments. All comments are moderated before publication.

A Dedicated Daughter 1877 -1926

Johanna was the sixth of seven children born to John and Hanora Horgan. She was named after John's mother, Johannah Fitzgerald. The coup...