20 April 2019

Rabbit roast or casserole

These recipes are in my mother's handwriting and are housed in a battered, blue plastic folder. They are transcribed here as part of the A-Z Challenge 2019. Each day in April a new letter of the alphabet and accompanying recipes are posted.

Rabbit

Rabbits were a pest on the farm, digging burrows and spoiling the land. It was a thrill to go out 'spotlighting' for rabbits.  After they had been skinned and gutted, two would be stuffed with breadcrumbs flavoured with mixed herbs and onion and then oven roasted. The meat was often overcooked, tough but quite tasty. 

Here's another recipe in my mother's book but I don't remember her cooking rabbit this way. It sounds rather better than the dry roast rabbit.

Rabbit

Cut rabbit into pieces and cover with seasoned flour.
Place in casserole in layers with seasoning then sliced apple. Add 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 cup milk.
Cook in moderate oven for 2 hours.



3 comments:

  1. We raised domestic rabbits in 4-H when I was a kid. Mom cooked them just like chicken (fried, roasted, stewed, etc.) Wild rabbit wouldn't be as tender or as white a meat so guess that gets different treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also raised rabbits for a while when I was a kid (I don’t know why, but suspect it was an effort to provide more meat for the family in lean times; I have no idea if it pencilled out). I can’t say I cared for the meat, but Mom cooked it nicely—like Virginia, I think she treated it like chicken. We tried sometimes to catch the wild rabbits, but had no armaments, so it never worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve only had rabbit at Italian restaurants. I imagine my mother-in-law would have eaten plenty of rabbit growing up on a farm in the Mallee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I welcome your comments. All comments are moderated before publication.

A mean slice, a kind heart

He was formidable behind a tennis ball, That mean slice tricked many a player, even though he was of short stature at about 5 ft tall. He ar...