7 August 2024

Family History, the Whys and Wherefores



A member of my local Family History group challenged us at a management meeting on August 3, to write a paragraph about why we are members of the group. A great topic to think about, as Family History month is held in the month of August each year across Australia and New Zealand.
So how did I become involved and why do I continue?

In 2013 my mother died at age 101. It was then that I discovered my mother, when she was 92, had told her childhood story to a grandchild, much of this was new to me. Another of my nieces had completed a high school assignment on my paternal side. On reading that piece, I spotted some potential for exploring that line further.
I had just retired in mid 2012, moved interstate, and needed new friends and activities. My interest in lifelong learning and computing found me first as a Friend of Noosaville library.

By 2015 I joined the Cooroy-Noosa genealogy group and once the local Noosaville library closed for renovation I found my home in the new Heritage Centre at Cooroy. I’ve worked with computers since 1985 in a wide variety of situations, teaching both students and adults. In the group, I enjoy being involved with others, learning anew and sharing skills. The developments in DNA matching and the potential of AI for family history keep me exploring and learning.

That’s my whys and wherefores. If you are interested in pursuing your family history, join a group. Yes, there is a lot one can learn online but sharing the friendship, collaborating with others and providing service to others, all these are beneficial to one’s well-being. Whether it is teaching, managing resources, providing refreshments or a dozen other ways of volunteering, the rewards are worth the effort.

Enjoy and learn this Family History month.

Carmel

Web Editor
CNG&HRG Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I welcome your comments. All comments are moderated before publication.

Father Frank Smyth

45 years dedicated to Thebarton Parish AI created image - Sept 2024 Francis Smyth was born at Alma on March 8, 1884 in the mid north of Sout...