26 May 2023

No longer Doubting Thomas

Chart demonstrating some O'Dea DNA relationships

At the end of April 2023 I was still unsure if I had the correct Thomas O'Dea as the son of my gt -gt. grandparents Patrick and Mary O'Dea who arrived in South Australia in 1854.

Now through the wonders of DNA I have confirmed this connection through not just the two DNA matches found with his descendants through Ancestry, but also another one found through MyHeritage. 

The diagram above was created in  Word using the hierarchy SmartArt feature to demonstrate the relationship of some of my DNA matches to myself. I found this video by Julie Cahill Tarr useful.

The black labels at the side down to 3rd cousin level indicate relationships across each line. 

The last two black labels indicate relationship to me.  DNA match 1 and DNA match 4 are indeed 4th cousins to each other, but they are my 3rd cousins once removed, meaning they are one generation away from me.

Whilst on the subject of DNA matches I see MyHeritage has some new "Theory of Relativity" matches. There they use existing family trees to suggest the way matches may exist. I have managed to confirm a few of these matches but several rely on an incorrect identification of my mother's grandmother. Some indeed are just "theories."
With a wide range of DNA tools available to the researcher it is indeed an interesting time to further extend one's family tree.

MyHeritage now displays that I have 879 people in my family tree who have a common ancestor and hence share DNA with me. Of these 879 just a few have taken DNA tests.

MyHeritage chart


This post first appeared on earlieryears.blogspot.com by CRGalvin

3 comments:

  1. Well I had never thought of using Word like that to graphically display relationships. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on sorting Thomas out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was preparing a talk on charts and diagrams for family historians when I viewed that video!

      Delete
  2. I must try that option in Word and look at the video. Glad you are no longer doubting Thomas :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I welcome your comments. All comments are moderated before publication.

A Dedicated Daughter 1877 -1926

Johanna was the sixth of seven children born to John and Hanora Horgan. She was named after John's mother, Johannah Fitzgerald. The coup...