30 April 2019

Zucchini slice

These recipes are in my mother's handwriting and are housed in a battered, blue plastic folder. They are transcribed here as part of the A-Z Challenge 2019. Each day in April a new letter of the alphabet and accompanying recipes are posted.

So I have come to the end of the alphabet and it has been an interesting look back at recipes from earlier years, treasured not necessarily for their content but for the fact that they are in my mother's handwriting. There are many more recipes than those I have managed to transcribe here. Now the next job is to compile them all into a readable file that I can pass on to her grandchildren.

I hope you have enjoyed this glimpse of cooking from the past.

Zucchini

Zucchinis were a late introduction to my mother's cuisine and I speculate that this recipe came from one of her daughters. It has a cross next to it, perhaps this means she adapted it or found another recipe or made it only once and was not happy with the result. Perhaps one of my siblings will enlighten me as I have never tried this recipe.
Zucchini slice

400 to 450 gr. Zuccini (grated)
5 Eggs (Beaten)
½ pkt Bacon Bits
1 lge onion (lightly fried)
1 cup grated cheese
½ cup Oil

Add oil to beaten eggs
Combine and add other ingredients.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes in mod[erate] oven in slice tray.



Previous posts in this A-Z series

Hannah's Recipes A-Z challenge
This post first appeared on earlieryears.blogspot.com by CRGalvin

4 comments:

  1. I blogged on Italian foods this A to Z. I feel like somethings missing here. I wouldn’t add all that oil unless that was meant for frying. Here’s my zucchini recipe post under squash. https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/2019/04/22/2019-s-a-to-z-italian-famiglia-foods-and-memories-squash-pepperoni-quiche-and-squash-blossoms/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed looking at your recipes and prefer your version of this recipe so must give it a try. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Have been craving zucchini bread today since reading another AtoZers post. Always had plenty when I still gardened and made my own bread (with walnuts though, not bacon bits with sounds interesting.) Delicious thick slices served warm with a bit of melted butter.
    Congratulations on completing the AtoZChallenge2019. Now it is time for some well-deserved extra zzzzz's before tackling that next interesting project in May.
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com
    Z is for Zulu Warrior in Belgium?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the A to Z! These recipies will be good to look back on from time to time. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, I welcome your comments. All comments are moderated before publication.

Harrigan Horgan Hogan

Johanna (Horgan) Hogan What's in a name? Well it depended on how you pronounced it, how a clerk may have heard it and how it was written...